Friday, September 23, 2011

What is wrong with the high beam lights of my toyota 4runner 2002?

I have a Toyota 4Runner 2002 3.0TurboDiesel, and I have a problem with the headlights, the low beam head light works perfect, and the high beam head light works only when I pull the head light switch towards me (for a quick change of lights), but it does not work when I push the light switch forward (for a permanent change to high beam). The dealer tells me I have to change the turn signal/head light switch in the steering wheel, but they also say I have to change some control unit integrated circuits. They don't seem to be sure what the problem is, so before buying some expensive integrated circuits, I wanted to hear some suggestions on how to troubleshoot the problem and/or confirm the dealer diagnostics.|||You will end up changing the switch, this is a weak point in the lights!|||Go on line looking for Toyota truck owners groups and ask this question if you haven't yet. Sometimes there are recalls that dealers won't tell you about. Check it out on line for Toyota recalls. Finally, have you tried replacing just the bulbs?|||the dealer is correct|||It sounds as if the dip switch is at fault, that's the one you move backwards and forwards to change from main to dip.


It will not be a fuse or fuse box problem because the headlamp flash part of the switch works. On this model I am not sure where your side and headlamp switch is located. If it is part of the column switch then this will need replacing together with the dip switch. If it is separate on the dash panel then this should be OK to leave as it is working fine if the lights work on dip beam.


It sounds as if the dealer is hedging his bets. In other words he is not sure what the problem is so as to cover his back he tells you to replace everything.|||I would think the turn signal switch is bad. I think the dealer may not be sure and wants to sell you something you dont need.|||jUST REPLACE THE SWITCH AND THATS ALL. iT WILLWORK FINE,THE SWITCH IS PROBABLY JUST DIRTY OR WORN OUT.|||Well if you want to find a wireing diagram and e-mail it to me I'll walk you through it. I have 20yrs.exp. as a diagnostic tech. But before you do all that have you checked all the fuses? under dash and underhood? Plus have someone hold the highs on for you and make sure one doesn't look different. Also make sure the switch goes all the way into it's high position and stays there normally. The Automotive industry isn't keeping up with the costs of living as good as it should plus the amount of your own money that is sitting next to you is amazing by the time you are truely a Master Tech. I have about a $100,000.00 in tools. So anyway, they are loosing guys like me, who want a better life style and filling the positions with young inexperienced guys. Dealer and independents are in the same boat. I'll do my best to point you in the right direction. Get a test light first if you can. Attaching a couple wires to a small automotive bulb will work for a test light if you don't have access. Here's my email: emmett454@hotmail.com|||burnt or dirty contacts on the lighting switch .try spraying electrical circuit board cleaner.if this doesnt cure the problem .check out your relay for your lights.it could be faulty.a small hunch tells me its the switch

No comments:

Post a Comment